How to Start Your Improvement Project in Washington D.C.
1) Before you begin a major project, check for local zoning and safety restrictions:
Washington D.C. Planning Department
2) Find out about any available local home improvement incentives and programs:
Washington D.C. HUD Home & Communities
3) Check to see if your improvements qualify for US tax credits or incentives:
Tax Credits for Energy-Saving Improvements
4) Get free estimates from local prescreened contractors:
Prescreened Local Contractors
5) Find out whether your project will require permits:
Washington D.C. Building Permits
A Closer Look at Washington, D.C.
Geographic and weather concerns that may impact building and design: Snowstorms, cold winters, ice.
Elevation: 0-409 ft.
Population: 5.3 million
Average Temperature: 57.5 degrees F
Average Rainfall: 39 in.
Average Snowfall: 22 in.