How to Start Your Improvement Project in Atlanta, GA
1) Before you begin a major project, check for local zoning and safety restrictions:
City of Atlanta Zoning
2) Find out about any available local home improvement incentives and programs:
Hurricane Katrina, FEMA, and affordable housing opportunities
3) Check to see if your improvements qualify for US tax credits or incentives:
Tax Credits for Energy-Saving Improvements
4) Get free estimates from local prescreened contractors:
Prescreened Local Contractors
5) Find out whether building permits will be required:
Atlanta Building Permits
6) Check the records of contractors you're considering:
Atlanta GA Better Business Bureau
Get general information about this area here: City of Atlanta Online
If necessary, file construction complaints here: Georgia Contractor Licensing Board
A Closer Look at Atlanta, GA
Geographic and weather concerns that may impact building and design: tornadoes, lightning, thunderstorms, hurricanes, floods.
Elevation: 738 to 1050 ft.
Average Temperature: 45 degrees F
Average Rainfall: 50.2 in.
Average Snowfall: 2 in.