How to Start Your Improvement Project in New York City
1) Before you begin a major project, check for local zoning and safety restrictions:
NYC Building Codes Information.
2) Find out about any available local home improvement incentives and programs: NYC Homeownership Programs
3) Check to see if your improvements qualify for US tax credits or incentives:
Tax Credits for Energy-Saving Improvements
4) Get free estimates from local prescreened contractors:
Prescreened Local Contractors
5) Find out about permits, assistance, and classes :
NYC Home Preservation & Development
6) Check the records of contractors you're considering:
New York City Better Business Bureau
Get general information about this area here: New York City Information
Helpful NYC Safety Resources: NYC Public Safety
Search for NYC Building Complaints & Violations: DOB Building Information Search
A Closer Look at New York, NY
Geographic and weather concerns that may impact building and design: cold winters, salt air in coastal areas, coastal storms, hurricanes.
Elevation: 33 ft.
Average Temperature: 55 degrees F
Average Rainfall: 47.25 in.
Average Snowfall: 22.4 in.